When the wasps start building a nest, it’s definitely time to move on. After switching our 130% genoa for a 90% jib in anticipation of stronger winds the farther north we go, we did exactly that. On May 2, we left Titusville and took the Intracoastal Waterway to Smyrna to test the engine a little more. Everything worked well!

Feeling confident about our new engine, we went through the Ponce de Leon Inlet the next morning. We hoped that we wouldn’t end up like this poor fellow.

Winds of 12 to 20 knots and waves of 2 to 3 feet are ideal conditions for our first day on the ocean since mid-January. As usual, we have the fishing rod out because you never know what might bite. Sure enough, at around 7 p.m., it was “fish on!”

After a day of light winds, flapping sails, and uncomfortable swells coming from astern, May 7 was exactly the opposite. Wind speeds ranged from 20 to 35 knots, with gusts up to 44 knots. The waves were between 4 and 5 feet high but rose to 9 or 10 feet. The damage report for today includes a broken drawer torn out by the boat’s violent movements, a missing anchor winch cover, and a fallen Starlink satellite dish. At some point, as if someone had pressed a button, the wind shifted from southwest to northeast, bringing icy air with it. Since we didn’t want to sail into the wind, we turned west toward Cape Lookout. Having covered 470 nautical miles since leaving Ponce de Leon, we spent the night there and waited a day for better conditions.

We continued heading towards Norfolk in extremely calm conditions for half of the day. It was eerie to listen to two emergency calls to the Coast Guard: one for a medical emergency and one for a sinking vessel that had lost its rudder shaft. In the evening, we had a southwest wind of 15 to 23 knots, so we put in a reef before nightfall. On May 10, we rounded the infamous Cape Hatteras, known as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic” because of its deadly combination of treacherous ocean currents, unpredictable and violent weather, and ever-shifting shallow sandbars. We were far from land, riding the Gulf Stream, and we actually wished for more wind.

Our wish was granted the following day when the wind picked up to 15 knots and later to 23. In the distance, we saw some nasty weather, including several water spouts—rotating columns of air and water mist connecting a cumulus cloud to the water’s surface. In essence, it’s a tornado occurring over water. If you are caught in one, there is a risk of extreme wind damage, turbulence, and capsizing. Thankfully, the weather was far enough away not to affect us, but we still changed our course to get even farther away from it.

Late last night, we decided to continue on to Cape Cod instead of stopping in Norfolk because the forecast looked favorable. Once again, the actual conditions differed vastly from the prediction. Instead of 5–10 knots of wind, we experienced 20–34 knots, as well as lots of waves crashing over the boat. So much water came into our enclosure through the small openings that we had not yet made entirely waterproof that we decided to stay below deck and poke our heads out every ten minutes to check our surroundings. Unfortunately, since not all boats send AIS signals, we could not assume that there weren’t more vessels around than were indicated on the Navionics app.

The next morning, the conditions were calmer. While we weren’t making great speed, we had a pleasant sail until the wind died down and we bobbed around for a while.

Later that day, we experienced issues with our electric autopilot. It seemed that the rudder feedback sensor was broken. We set up the monitor Wind vane again, but once again, it struggled to steer straight and continued to veer toward starboard. Although the wind steering system eventually worked quite well, it malfunctioned again a few hours later. Ultimately, we had to correct the course by hand every few minutes while letting the monitor do most of the work.

Meanwhile, Hans was trying to build a rudder indicator, which unfortunately didn’t fix the problem with the electric autopilot, as we were unable to calibrate the rudder in 3-5 ft waves and had to wait for calmer conditions. It looked like we were in for another night of semi-hand steering with Monitor assist.

On the morning of May 14, as we passed an offshore wind farm, the wind reached speeds of over 20 knots, with gusts up to 30 knots. Thick fog made the passage challenging.

After passing through the wind farm, we headed to New Bedford, a coastal city in southeastern Massachusetts, to fill our diesel tanks. Less than four hours later, after covering 615 nautical miles at an average speed of 4.6 knots and a maximum speed of 10.1 knots, we dropped anchor in a small bay near the Cape Cod Canal. We were looking forward to a calm and restful night.

Unfortunately we did not have the luxury of sleeping in the next morning, as we had to time it just right to catch the current in the canal. We approached the canal with 4.7kts which increased due to the current to up to 8.6 knots! Our early wake-up call was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise.

Garmin autopilot update: After passing the canal, we calibrated our rudder in super calm conditions and then tried several manoeveres, including the auto-tack function – worked like a charm. Then we tried to set up the Monitor again. We really don’t know what we did differently this time around, but we were able to get the boat on course even after tacking multiple times. Go figure!

On May 16 at around 10:30am, we were approaching Boston and three hours later we dropped anchor in Pleasure Bay, Castle Island. There were about 11 feet of water left under the keel and we hoped that our tidal math was correct. The water level was expected to fall by an additional 9.7 feet until low tide, which would leave a remaining 1.3 feet below the keel before we touched ground. Spoiler alert: our math was accurate.

On Sunday we welcome Marius and Palak together with their friends Bart, Kathy and their three kids on board for a day sail. We had a gorgeous day with unseasonably high temperatures in the low 80s. What a treat!


Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert